Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cartoons

I was born in 86', and was fortunate to grow up with plenty of high-quality cartoon-shows. Transformers, Turtles, Gummi-Bears, Darkwing Duck, He-Man, Chip N' Dale - Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, The Jetsons and The Flintstones to name a few. The most influential for me however, was Batman Animated from 1992. I loved the visual style (especially in the fourth season), the mood and the stories. To this day I am deeply inspired and influenced by that show, and my dream is to work on something equally as impactful at some point in my career.  Some artists I've learned were involved were Bruce Timm (The GOD), Shane Glines (fourth season only as far as I know) and Glenn Murakami. I can think of few artists who are as skilled at shape-design, and as a study, I felt like painting a sketch from Mr. Glines. Check out his art if you haven't, he's a contemporary master :) Also Batman Beyond is really worth a watch, I think he was more involved with that show.

100%


I like this photo.


Need to practice environments...


Hot darn sweet baby Jesus it's been a while since I shared some classic sketchbookery.. Lines on paper, just foolin' around...


A song most magical...



I discovered Ahmad Jamal's music pretty late, it was like finding a long lost treasure. In my opinion one of the greatest :)

2 comments:

Alex Bing said...

Great sketches! The gestures are so strong! I'm curious though, how are you laying/planning these out before throwing down darker lines? :O

Great work!

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thanks! Well, I kinda start with a vision in my head, and then I loosely and lightly throw down big shapes and gestural lines. Getting the whole a quickly as possible. Then I draw the lines real hard, no hesitation. It's not a good approach for a complex drawing/design, but I like it for drawing nude gestural things. For a more complex drawing I would have to work in layers with various pencils, and maybe some marker paper, or preferably digitally. Derwent Artist Colored Pencil on Moleskine. Those pencils are real hard to erase, so they kinda force you to maintain line-discipline. Not for the faint of heart ;P