Monday, September 1, 2014

Post-Apocalypse Cartoon

I've been deeply immersed in the post-apocalyptic world of Wasteland. So much fun to design cartoony characters in a relatively dark and gritty setting.

Wrote a story for these dudes, but I can't write, so I deleted it. There. Cole Westwood is my favorite :)



I guess you'll just have to figure out the story with your imagination ;)

Repost, but with the visual template...



Silhouette-check! Are they varied and easily distinguishable from each other? Is the overall shape-language consistent?



I figured I'd attach some of the really rough sketches I do before making the actual drawing. Don't usually show this :) I like to have a clear vision in my head of where I'm going before I invest in a proper lineart, and doing rough sketches is one of the tools.


Photostudies! Shape, shape, shape and shape. I don't know if this is the right way to think, but I'm testing it out.



Mooooaaarrr studies!!! I just lost interest once I reached the face, so meh.



OOooohoho, have I got some treats for you today! :) 



5 comments:

Dado Almeida said...

IN_CRE_DI_BLE portraits man.
Even not knowing Wasteland franchise (what a shame), I totally dig the look and feel of this chars. If you aren´t going to paint in your full rendered style, I think all of them would benefit of a 'simple' flat colors+shadown, maybe fit each one in a card-game layout with some info/skills attached??

Anyway. What a class Helgeson.

Johannes Helgeson said...

Whoa, thanks Dado! Hmm, I feel I need to practice shadow-shapes, so your idea is pretty good :) I'll consider the card-template. Cheers mate :D

betty_draws said...

great characters, very unique and full of personality :) keep it up!

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thanks Betty! :D I always try to think of a story and what motivates the character. Glad you like 'em ;) I will!

myhuonglequyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.